We are 3 days away from our first game day of the 2022-2023 football season! Ole Miss is known for consistently hosting the best tailgates in the SEC and a great game atmosphere. Being an out of state student, I was pretty unsure of how tailgating in the Grove worked before my first game here. I have compiled a list of tips that will hopefully give you the best Ole Miss experience…
How do I buy tickets?
● Don’t stress, this is the easy part! Several websites like Stubhub and Ticketmaster sell NCAA sporting tickets. You may also purchase tickets through the Ole Miss Ticket office. If you’re lucky, you might be able to snag cheaper tickets in the Grove or outside the stadium (but this is no guarantee). For the bigger games (Auburn, Alabama & Egg Bowl), I would recommend purchasing those tickets now…they usually sell out.
Where should I sit?
● Although I’m a student and love the student section atmosphere, you may not. College kids tend to get a little too excited for the Rebs, so if you want a more profanity and adult beverage- free time, I would recommend sitting in the East, South or West sections.
What time should I get to the Grove?
● Typically Ole Miss Football’s Instagram will share a post giving details on what time each event in the Grove starts. For example, we have already been told the Walk of Champions starts at 12:30 pm. Make sure you find a good spot to watch Coach Kiffin and his four-legged bff, Juice Kiffin, walk in!
Where do I park?
● If you have a football parking pass, you will have a spot to park on campus. If not, we recommend parking on or near the Square, there are several churches near campus that will charge $20-40 for parking and Ole Miss will provide a game day shuttle service from the Jackson Avenue Center. The Ole Miss shuttle doesn’t cost anything, but the parking lot fills up fast! The shuttle service typically begins about 5 hours before game time. Shuttles drop off at the Paris-Yates Chapel.
Do I have to have a tent for tailgating to be fun?
● Tents are always a fun add-on to your Grove experience, but not at all! Tents in the Grove are very welcoming to all Ole Miss fans. Mississippi isn’t known as the hospitality state for nothing!
Am I allowed to carry adult beverages around?
● Put it in a cup! Ole Miss has always been strict with open containers, so it’s better to be on the safe side.
What do I wear?
● Ole Miss is also known for student/fans game attire. It’s common for women to be wearing a sundress, romper, an Ole Miss Jersey, leather pants, etc. For the men, they are typically wearing an Ole Miss polo with khakis.
○ Make sure to bring a clear purse if you want to take anything into the game! If not, you can't take it in!
Last but not least, have a great time! Ole Miss will always hold a special place in my heart, and I hope it does the same for you! As they say…though we may not win every game, we never lose a party! Hotty Toddy!
Stay tuned for more gameday tips in future articles on parentsofollegestudents/olemiss.com website and Facebook page.