Things have changed greatly over the past two weeks here in Starkville. Unlike what we imagined, the end of the spring semester and 2019-2020 school year is coming to a close in an extremely different way. While this can leave you uncertain and worrisome, we at Parents of MS State hope to help you during this time as much as we can.
Moving out of an MSU residence hall?
One thing on your mind right now may be moving your student out of their current dorm or housing situation. As of right now, access to residence halls is limited. However according to the MSU Housing and Residence Life website, students still have several options for moving and checking out. The recommendation is for students to leave their belongings locked in their room until a safer time to move. However, some people may need/want to move out as soon as possible. To access any belongings in a dorm room, simply call the RA Duty phone number posted on the front door of the building. These calls will be taken 24/7 until the end of the semester. There is an express check out option that allows you to move out without any contact with anyone else in the residence hall. The instructions for this type of move out can be found at https://www.housing.msstate.edu/covid-19/. No matter when you choose to move out, all students should be moved out of MSU's residence halls by May 10, 2020 at 6:00 p.m.
Need help with moving and storage?
We have created a page on our website with some local moving and storage companies that can help you during this time. You can visit this page at this link: https://www.parentsofmsstate.com/moving-storage.
Here are a few tips to consider when packing your things up to go into storage:
1. Consider splitting a storage unit with a roommate or friend to reduce the cost and save on space.
2. Consider a climate controlled storage unit to keep belongings and items free from mildew, mold, and weather destruction.
3. If a climate controlled unit is not available, pack belongings into plastic totes with lids instead of boxes to avoid damage.
4. Take all soft items home! Pillows, couches, chairs, rugs, etc. may mildew or mold in a storage unit - especially in units that are not climate controlled.
5. Any mattresses should be packed in mattress plastic packaging to avoid any damage.
· Provides storage units with climate control and non climate control
· U-Haul rentals available
· RV parking available
· Visit website at http://morelandstorageunits.com
· Call at (662) 323-4892
Here are some other moving and storage options in Starkville:
· Dawg House Storage
· Jordan Transfer Co., Inc.
Need hotel or lodging options?
You may need a place to stay while in Starkville, especially if you are traveling from far away or from a different state. Many local lodging options are offering low and discounted rates for students and/or their families that are coming in town, visiting, or are displaced during this time. Consider supporting these local hotels and lodging options when you come to move your student out this semester.
· $95/night for students, parents, MSU staff, and travelers throughout April
· Ask for the MSU Student Rate
· Grab & go breakfast bags from 6-10 a.m.
· Coffee station with servers
· Limited supply bar and dinner
· Pool area closed
· Limited guests in fitness center
· Visit website at https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/stfsvgi-hilton-garden-inn-starkville/
· Call at (662) 615-9664
Here are some other hotel options in Starkville:
· Courtyard by Marriott Starkville MSU at The Mill Conference Center - $79/night
· Hampton Inn - $79/night
· Comfort Suites - $79/night
· LaQuinta Inn & Suites - $89/night
Are you more interested in a historic bed & breakfast experience? Lucky for you, there is one available with special rates to accommodate you on two rooms on their property! It is only a short distance to campus and downtown as well!
· $99 special throughout April
· Two rooms available at this rate
· Historic location & building
· Bed & Breakfast experience
· Visit website at https://themontgomerybb.com
· Call at (662) 617-8068
Is an Airbnb more your style? If you prefer privacy and a whole home to yourself, we have an option with significantly low rates that is only six minutes away from Mississippi State's campus!
· Nightly rates cut 25-50% throughout April
· Airbnb experience
· Entire home to yourself
· Lakeside view
· Self check-in
· Spacious living room & kitchen
· Garage for storage during your stay
· Visit website at www.airbnb.com/h/thecowbellcabana
We hope that through this time of uncertainty, we can help guide you in the right direction here in Starkville. When you visit, be sure to maintain social distancing with others on campus or in town, and wash your hands frequently. Stay safe and healthy!