As a parent, you may be thinking to yourself, “now how on EARTH will my child survive without my wonderful home cooked meals?” Or "How will my child eat if quarantined?" Ole Miss has some awesome on-campus dining options to offer its students.
You may have noticed the newly renovated, gigantic Ole Miss Student Union in the middle of campus when you visited for Move-In. The Union is home to some of students favorite fast food restaurants which include:
● McCalister’s Deli
● Panda Express
● Which Wich
If you take a trip throughout the rest of campus, your see that Ole Miss also has these dining options:
● Einstein’s Bagels
● Papa John’s Pizza
● Steak and Shake
● Raising Canes
● The Grill at 1810
And last, but definitely not least:
● The Rebel Market - The rebel market, formally known as the JC (The Johnson Commons), is where you can find the expected college cafeteria food with a twist. They have your typical burgers and fries but they also have items such as pastas, stir fries and sushi so you can never really run out of options.
It’s easy to jump to conclusions and wonder if these dining options will be healthy enough for your child, and we totally get where you’re coming from. Who wouldn’t want to eat a Chick Fil sandwich with waffle fries for every meal? Luckily, every on campus restaurant provides plenty of healthy alternatives that students can take advantage of to avoid that freshman 15. Almost every dining service has nutritious, high protein options that can keep your student energized throughout the entire day.
Ole Miss students pay for their on campus meals with their Meal Plan, Flex Dollars, or Ole Miss Express. If they plan on rushing they do not need a large meal plan. Most sorority and fraternity houses provide 3 meals a day, 5 days a week.
There are also some great off-campus dining options that will take Express. Here is a list that might help out your students during this time:
· Abner’s Famous Chicken
· Bim Bam Burgers and Wings
· Chili’s Grill and Bar
· Dodo Pizza
· Papa John’s (off-campus location)
· Huddle House
· Larson’s Cash Saver
· McAlister’s Deli (off-campus location)
· Smoothie King
· Pita Pit
· Venice Kitchen (Old Venice Pizza Co.)
· Oxford Nutrition