top of page

How To Get In-State Tuition

We all know college is an essential building block to prepare for the "real world." That being said, college is a very expensive building block. We know that scholarships and grants are a sure-fire way to save a little cash while going to school. Another way to save a penny here and buck there when it comes to college is applying for residency.

Applying for residency means that the student wants to, or is in the process of, becoming a permanent resident of the state making them eligible for in-state tuition. This includes getting a Mississippi driver’s license, registering your student’s car to the state and getting a Mississippi license plate, and registering to vote.

According to Ole Miss, students establishing residency need to be at least 22 years old and have lived in the state for 12 consecutive months after their 21st birthday. A few ways to show that your student has resided in the state for a year straight include:

  • Enrolled in classes at a Mississippi school/college

  • Pay stubs showing that state taxes are being withheld

  • Letter from a Mississippi employer stating dates of employment

  • Bank statements showing consistent transactions in Mississippi

One more way to show a year of residence includes routinely signing a log at the Registrar’s office showing physical presence. This is a good option if your student is not employed or is not enrolled in classes for a full year. Without proof, establishing residency is nearly impossible.

Please note that the university does not accept rent, leases, property deeds or utility bills as acceptable forms of residency. The only reason for this is because many families have a second residence here in Oxford and may use that to show residency even if the property is left vacant for long periods of time.

There are other stipulations for minors (students under 21 years old), spouses of a resident and military members to qualify for residency. For more information on residency, visit the Registrar’s website. Your student may also pick up a residency form at the Registrar’s office; this form includes more details as well as a FAQs page on all things residency.

2,420 views0 comments
bottom of page